Liquidamber Styraciflua Aurea
Liquidamber Styraciflua Aurea, variegated sweet gum. A broadly conical deciduous tree. Star-shaped leaves are spotted and striped yellow. They have 5-7 lobes medium green and glossy, turning to striking purples, reds and oranges. Leaves are followed by mace-like fruit clusters. Plant in full sun for best autumn colours. Height: 80 ft. Width: 40 ft.
Plant in moist well drained soil. Full Sun / partial Shade, Fully Hardy.
General Tree Planting and care
- Water the Tree thoroughly and allow to drain fully
- If the Tree is being planted in a lawn remove a circle of turf
- Dig a hole twice the size of the pot being planted and fork over the base Adding a bucketful of planting compost
- Drive in one or two tree stakes a little off centre
- Remove the pot gently, if the tree is well rooted cut off the pot
- Position the tree against the stake if one stake is used or in the middle if two are being used
- Ensure that the top of the Root ball is level with the surrounding soil
- Replace the remaining soil and heel in well
- Secure to the stake or stakes using one or two rubber adjustable straps
- Water the tree and area thoroughly, then again at least once a week during the first growing season
- Apply some general fertiliser every spring