Betula Pendula Alba Silver Birch. A deciduous conical tree with peeling white bark, which becomes marked with dark rugged cracks at the base. Dark green leaves turn yellow in autumn. Yellow-brown catkins in spring. Max Height 25m. Max Spread 10m.
Plant in fertile well drained soil. Full sun / partial shade, Hardy.
General Tree Planting and care
- Water the Tree thoroughly and allow to drain fully
- If the Tree is being planted in a lawn remove a circle of turf
- Dig a hole twice the size of the pot being planted and fork over the base Adding a bucketful of planting compost
- Drive in one or two tree stakes a little off centre
- Remove the pot gently, if the tree is well rooted cut off the pot
- Position the tree against the stake if one stake is used or in the middle if two are being used
- Ensure that the top of the Root ball is level with the surrounding soil
- Replace the remaining soil and heel in well
- Secure to the stake or stakes using one or two rubber adjustable straps
- Water the tree and area thoroughly, then again at least once a week during the first growing season
- Apply some general fertiliser every spring