Physalis alkengi var. Franchetti
Physalis alkengi var. Franchetti, Chinese Lantern, Winter Cherry. An attractive plant with a mound forming habit and mid green coloured leaves that bears fruits. produces bright orange - red lantern shaped fruits in autumn. These are then followed by white star shaped flowers. Fruits are edible. Max height 60 Cm, Max spread 90 Cm. Ideal for border plantings.
Plant in well drained soil. Full sun / Partial shade, Hardy.
General Herbaceous & Perennial Planting and care
- Water the pot thoroughly and allow to drain fully.
- Dig a hole twice the size of the pot being planted and fork over the base. Adding some planting compost.
- Remove the pot gently, if well rooted cut off the pot.
- Ensure that the top of the Root ball is level with the surrounding soil.
- Replace the remaining soil and heel in, water the area thoroughly.
- Water regular until established.
- Apply some general fertiliser every spring.